Coming soon to the Madison, WI area
As you may know, I have been studying, writing and standing in support of women's self-directed birth journeys for over a decade (as well as experiencing the self directed births of my own four children.) The time has come to share what I've learned through a series of classes aimed at providing expecting (or hopeful) parents with the tools to pursue their ideal births with confidence.
Self-directed childbirth is not limited to any specific birth choice. The lessons are first and foremost about self-discovery, healing, informed choice and empowerment. The concepts we will cover in these classes can be applied to birth in any setting. Whether planning to birth in a hospital, birth center, at home with a midwife, even unassisted or through planned Cesarean Section; whether a first time mom or experienced mother you will be provided with valuable tools and insights for your individual self directed path.
My goal is to have 3-7 women in each group (your partner or birth support person is welcome to join you.) Initial classes will be offered at a discounted rate, and private classes can be scheduled for a slightly higher fee (though, if possible I encourage you to take advantage of the group option because the activities, discussion and support are amplified when shared with others)
The Self Directed Childbirth course is divided into 5 parts and will cover:
- An introduction to Self Directed Childbirth
- Taking personal responsibility for your pregnancy and birth
- Embracing pregnancy
- Utilizing tribal knowledge (community) versus relying solely on authoritative knowledge (experts)
- Examining and healing damaging beliefs about childbirth and/or your body
- Basic Physiology of Childbirth
- Logistics of birth in different settings/circumstances
- Iatrogenic complications versus naturally occurring complications
- Avoiding a rebound relationship with homebirth (or Dr Google)
- Information gathering (self-education)
- Working with your intuition
- Making powerful decisions
- Communicating your needs with confidence
- Creating your own Self Directed Birth Plan
- Preparing back-up plans
- Approaching birth as an active (and flexible) participant
- Healing and reflection postpartum
- Baby's first days and weeks (babymoon)
- Basic baby needs and instinctive parenting
Each class will include and instructional portion (tailored to meet the needs of participants,) hand-outs to bring home, and a talking circle to facilitate deeper, individualized exploration through sharing and discussion.
You should come prepared to dig deep and be real with yourself and others about your thoughts and feelings surrounding pregnancy, birth and parenting.
Additional information (dates, locations and prices) will be available soon. Please contact me to be added to my mailing list. If you'd like to attend a Self Directed Childbirth course in the near future, let me know; I will do my best to prioritize dates based on interest.
Eventually, I hope to offer this course in other locations (Green Bay, Milwaukee, Northern WI, Atlanta GA, St. Petersburg FL, and Denver CO are all on my list as potential areas) and eventually, through an online option.